Tuesday, October 4, 2011

One Month Update

So it's officially been exactly one month since I've arrived here in Salamanca and it's definitely been one adventure. Getting accustomed to an entirely new culture and way of life, with a language that I am still trying to grasp, has been a time that I am entirely grateful for. Before this, I had never traveled alone and for those too afraid to do so, I would say that it is something you will never regret. Trying new foods, practicing (and mostly butchering lol) Spanish, interacting with the locals, seeing different parts of Spain, and so much more have been compacted in just four short weeks, and I can't believe that it has already been that long!

If I were able to go back in time to September 3rd, the day before I departed, there isn't much that I would change in terms of preparing for this trip. But some advice that I can provide is for starters bring only what is necessary. I know that I was given this same advice before I came here, but it really is true! I brought lots of little odds and ends, believing that I would be stuck in the middle of nowhere, but there are lots of places to find the essentials (and I'm sure that is the case no matter where you travel). Also, if you are planning to study in Spain, I would recommend exchanging your American dollars for Euros before you arrive or at the airport. It really is difficult to do here and the only way you can do it at a bank is to have a bank account there. The exchange rate unfortunately sucks, but it really isn't "all about the Benjamins" here. I also probably would've practiced my Spanish a little bit more. Not everything, simply the basics, like the past, present, and future. It really just sounds silly to talk about your childhood with your host mom solely using the present tense. She'll get the premise and probably nod and smile, but who knows what she's really thinking in her head. Also, try to plan what other destinations you would like to travel to prior to arriving. Nothing has to be booked or set in stone, but choosing your locations beforehand can't hurt. And last but not least, have an open mind! Don't be afraid to try new things or to look silly when trying to communicate in a language that is not your own. It is all a learning experience and one that should create the fondest of memories. Have fun, be safe, and take care ;)

~Justine <3

No comments:

Post a Comment