Thursday, October 27, 2011

Lisbon in a Minute

It's been a pretty busy week, and I'm just glad that it's almost over :) The weather changed dramatically this week, from warm and sunny to a little gray and rainy. I guess that's to be expected for October. I actually enjoy the rain though, it reminds me of home. I just don't like getting caught in it, haha. I honestly didn't know what to expect weather-wise before coming here. I wasn't sure if it got as cold as back in the U.S. or if it snowed or anything :p I have the weather on my laptop set for both New York and for Salamanca and the difference is really only a few degrees, so just like home. 

To update you guys on something a little more exciting than the weather, I went to Lisbon, Portugal last weekend. It was such a nice place to visit and sometimes I think that 3 days (well more like 2 :p) was just not enough. We visited el Castillo de San Jorge, el Barrio de Alfama, and la Plaza de Comercio the first day we arrived. The views from the top of el Castillo de San Jorge were just breathtaking. From way up there, I could practically see the entirety of Lisbon and the ocean as well. 

The view from El Castillo de San Jorge

La Plaza del Comercio is also a fun place to visit with amazing views as well. But I think I liked it even better at night! Many of the buildings, statues, and landmarks, including the bridge (Puente 25 de Abril) in the distance were all aglow and it felt really peaceful to be there. 

La Plaza del Comercio

On the way there, we ran into a street saxophone player. At first we didn't really think too much about him and continued on our way, but he started to play the theme from the Pink Panther and one of my friends turned around to listen. We spoke to him for a little bit and it turns out that he is actually from the United States, but traveled to Europe to play his saxophone on the streets in different countries across the continent. You just never know who you'll meet!

On the second day we paid a visit to El Monasterio de Los Jeronimos. There were many older ladies selling pretty scarves to the tourists (2 for 5 euros) and it was a beautiful day. The monastery is a sight to behold. It's very grand on the outside and the inside is even better. One part opens up into a courtyard with a fountain. It was a great experience to have had. 

                     The outside of El Monasterio de            The inside courtyard
                                 Los Jeronimos           

Right across the way from the monastery was what I believe to be the Tejo River. Many people were hanging out there and enjoying the sights. There was even a group who were practicing the Brazilian form of martial arts known as capoeira. More statues and very pretty sailboats completed the scenery. The peace was only disturbed for a bit when one of the members from our group actually fell into the water! He was being silly and got too close to the edge. His accident shortened our visit to El Torre de Belém, but at least he wasn't too hurt, just a few bumps and scratches!

My favorite part of the trip had to be the visits to la Boca do Inferno and the beach town of Cascais. I find man-made structures like monasteries, cathedrals, palaces, etc. fascinating, but I am always in awe by natural wonders and these two places were no exception. Just so beautiful, calm, and serene. I would go back there in a heartbeat.

                                    Cascais                             La Boca do Inferno

Finally, on the last day, even though I was super exhausted :p, we visited La Zona Medieval, a tiny preserved town and another monastery in a town known as Batalha. Once we got back on the bus and made the 7 hour journey back to Salamanca, I was so grateful to have gone on this trip. The beauty is unparalleled and the culture is extremely rich. I hope to return back someday! 

~Justine <3

No comments:

Post a Comment