Thursday, October 13, 2011

Homesickness (Or lack thereof)

It's strange to think that from the moment I landed on Spanish soil, I haven't really felt homesick. It's not because I am some cold-hearted person! I just feel that because I had been preparing for this trip for sooo many months, I felt ready to take the leap by the time it finally approached, . Don't get me wrong, I was slightly apprehensive to go because I had never traveled such a distance on my own, but I knew that there was definitely no turning back. 

I think what freaked me out the most was definitely the unknown, all of the "what ifs" or "buts": "what if I get lost? What if my Spanish doesn't improve? What if I don't like the food? But what about this, that, or the other thing. etc." I kept trying to predict and plan everything before my arrival, but sometimes that just isn't possible, especially when you are thousands of miles away from a country you have never visited before! I learned from this experience to just be prepared for the "what ifs" that may happen, but also loosen the reins just a little bit. If I can give any advice to others who are also preparing for a similar experience abroad, it would be just that. 

As for those who might feel homesick, that is definitely normal! I would just say that hopefully after no more than a week, you'll feel right at home in this new country. Also, there are loads of ways to communicate with loved ones. Emails, Skype, and buying an international calling card are just a few, and what's great (at least on your end) about phone calls is that when you receive an incoming call your minutes are not used. I also used the snail mail method, because I think it's fun to receive something in the mail the old-fashioned way, and sent some of my family and friends postcards with pictures of landmarks in Salamanca on them. It's fairly inexpensive and faster than expected to do: each stamp cost 0.80¢ and some of my family members received theirs in as little as four days. So no worries guys! The world is becoming more connected and if those methods don't satisfy you, you'll be home in no time. But don't spend time worrying, just do!

<3 Justine

No comments:

Post a Comment