Thursday, September 29, 2011

Birthdays and Grammar Lessons

So I've made it through my first week of classes and it is such a good feeling! When we had first arrived here in the beginning of September, we took a three week course which consisted of two classes, Lengua España and Conversación Y Redacción, which were classes intended on getting us accustomed to the language and helping to refresh certain topics which we may not have learned in a while. I haven't taken a Spanish class in about a year and a half, so at times, it can be a challenge. Nevertheless, I would like to remain optimistic and believe that my comprehension has been improving (even though it may be taking longer than I desire). But as my host mother says, "poco a poco," which translates to little by little. And it's true, you can't run before you walk, so I've just got to be patient with myself and realize that good things come to those who wait. 

On another note, the classes which have begun this week, which include an art class, Spanish culture, conversation, and language class, have all been interesting. It just strikes me as odd that even though these classes are taught completely in Spanish (and believe me, my Spanish to English dictionary has become my best friend), I am in class with students entirely from the United States. At first, it was a bit disheartening because I was looking forward to meeting students from other parts of the world. But I have come to accept it for what it is and many of the students are pretty good with Spanish. 

I also celebrated my 22nd birthday (ugh :p) this week and had to attend class that day. As a tradition here, they tug your ear the number of times that correspond with the age you are turning.  Up learning that I was turning 22, my profersora came over and proceeded to pull my ear! It hurt, but I know that it was all in good fun. Not many people can say that's happened to them (and while it was happening, I was wishing I were one of them). I only wish that my twin sister (and no, we aren't identical :p) were here to celebrate with me, but we'll celebrate our own way when I return. 

Everyday I feel as though I am learning not only in class, but outside the school's walls as well. I just have to remember to take nothing for granted and really appreciate my time here, because before I know it, it'll be over <3

No comments:

Post a Comment