Thursday, October 20, 2011

Just thinking about the things that I miss back home and at the moment, I am definitely craving a cheeseburger! I know, you're probably rolling your eyes and thinking "typical American," but I just can't help it sometimes, I'm only human (haha)

Doesn't it look yummy?

I've definitely immersed myself within the cuisine of Spain and have tried loads of new foods and dishes that I had never encountered before. So far, I can say that the food is heavily potato, bean, and meat (but not burger :p) based. Definitely lots and lots of pork (carne de cerdo), beef (carne), fish (pescado), chicken (pollo), lamb (cordero) and so on. 

Sometimes situations with food can even be comical, especially because I don't understand everything that my host mother says. For instance, once she offered my a dish that consisted of some form of meat and onions. It looked harmless enough and when I asked what it was, she replied, "hígado" and pointed toward her ribs. I proceeded to believe that hígado meant ribs, so I accepted the offer. After it was on my plate, I knew right away that it was not what I thought, but it was too late to turn back. While I reluctantly ate it all (and had a slight idea of what it might be), it wasn't until after I had finished and rushed to my computer to Google translate what my host mother had told me that I discovered the dish had actually been onions and lamb liver! While I am definitely not knocking those who like liver and onions, it just isn't my thing. This just goes to show that I have definitely got to work on my Spanish (especially the organs!) to avoid situations such as these. 

~Justine <3

No comments:

Post a Comment