Saturday, September 10, 2011

Spain in a Word (well a few words)

Spain, at least the part that I am in, is a very nice place. One thing which reminds me of home is the ability to be able to walk anywhere, even to class in the mornings. It helps to not only save a few euros, but your waistline as well. Spaniards definitely love their food! And lunch is the most important meal of the day. People return home from work and other places in order to eat together and to have a siesta. Dinner also usually isn't till about 9:30 or 10, so much later than the normal time back in the states. It's a wonder here that people aren't obese, but their meals also seem to be a little healthier. Lots of soups, fruits, and vegetables.

The people here also like to stay out very late, sometimes till 7 in the morning. It's so weird for me to see kids and old folks out at 3 or 4 am, but that's totally the norm here. Especially because the fair (or la feria) has been happening almost all week, which includes a very important holiday, La Natividad de la Virgin Maria. Outside bars and food stands can be found all around town, and lots of activities have been going on like musicals, street performances, concerts, fireworks, and so much more. El Plaza Mayor is also very beautiful at night and so far the people have been very friendly. In addition, I've been working on my Spanish and last night without even realizing, I slipped up and started talking in it. I don't know how accurate I was, but it surprised even me.




Anyhow, just woke up kind of late (the time difference is still kicking my butt), but I'll definitely keep updating!

No comments:

Post a Comment