Sunday, September 11, 2011

Spanish Mercados

Today, I felt as though I took a step back in time when I visited El Mercado Romano. When we first arrived, the afternoon siesta was still taking place, so it was quite funny to see people behind their booths sleeping on folding chairs and blow up mattresses. However, once their naps were over, the market came back to life. Stands full of jewelry, soaps, perfumes, toys, clothes, food, candy, art, and lots of other odds and ends could be found throughout. Many of the vendors were dressed to fit the theme and musicians toting flutes and drums entertained the customers as they shopped. The smell of food roasting on a giant barbeque was also heavy in the air. My Spanish isn't so great, so I couldn't use my negotiating skills, but the prices for much of the merchandise was pretty fair. Some things are one-of-a-kind or handmade and would make great gifts for friends and family.





All in all, it felt like a Renaissance fair in the middle of modern-day Spain and it was very enjoyable to have been able to take part.

No comments:

Post a Comment