Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Gaga for Van Gogh

One of the main reasons as to why I chose Amsterdam as my destination was due to the fact that the Van Gogh Museum is located there. 

For many years now, I have appreciated his art and could not wait to receive the opportunity to view an entire museum dedicated solely to his work. When I arrived, the line was literally around the block! I was a bit disappointed because I thought it would take forever to move, but within about 20 minutes I was at the ticket counter. As a warning, the tickets are sold at a hefty price (€14 a piece) and there are no group or student discounts available.

Security is pretty tough here and they make everyone walk through a metal detector before entering. However, I just read that the famed The Potato Eaters was robbed back in 1991, but quickly recovered, which could be one of the reasons why everyone is considered suspect.

The museum is quite large and there are about five different floors. Each room is designed to house paintings from his various periods, such as his early Dutch period, and as you walk through each, you can see the evolution of his artwork. 

I finally got to see my favorite painting by him in person, Almond Blossom, 1890, "On January 31, 1890, Theo (Vincent's younger brother) wrote to Vincent of the birth of his son, whom he had named Vincent Willem. Van Gogh, who was extremely close to his younger brother, immediately set about making him a painting of his favorite subject: blossoming branches against a blue sky. The gift was meant to hang over the couple’s bed. As a symbol of this new life, Vincent chose an almond tree, which blooms early in southern regions, announcing the coming spring as early as February."  


I returned to this painting a few times before leaving because I was not sure when would be the next time that I could view it. I don't know quite why this particular painting intrigues me, but I am extremely happy that I received the opportunity to see if for myself. 

I really did enjoy my visit here and it was one of the highlights of my trip. Another must-see for those who visit Amsterdam!

~Justine <3

1 comment:

  1. So glad you were able to experience an authentic view of your favorite artist.

    ReplyDelete