Wednesday, December 14, 2011

All Roads Lead to Rome! ✈

So I'm finally back to update about my time in Rome. Sorry about the delay, it's been kind of a hectic week. Anyhow! Where do I begin?? Rome is such a beautiful city! It's ancient, yet modern at the same time, and the sights are really breathtaking. This trip was the longest that I've made outside of Spain while in Europe, it was four days, and it was really nice to just be able to relax and see things at a leisurely pace instead of constantly running here and there. 

Tip #1: Since we were there for so many days, we opted to buy the Roma Pass, something I highly recommend (http://www.romapass.it/). It is valid for three days and you are able to get free access into two visited museums and/or archaeological sites of your choice, as well as unlimited access to the city's public transportation (all of the buses and trains), which really comes in handy, believe me :p The Colosseum, as well as Palatine Hill and the Roman Forum are included in this pass (all three are counted as one entrance, which cost about 15€), so after a while the pass pays for itself, and you get to jump the line! The Colosseum is amazing to view in person and reading the signs on the wall about its history just helped me to realize just how much history is within its walls. If you want, there are paid tours available.  


This time of the year is also extremely beautiful. Not only is the weather perfect (never more than 70° F) but there are loads of Christmas lights up and performances happening throughout the city. After making an attempt to go on the free walking tour, but getting the time wrong, we made our way to Trevi Fountain. Just another example of an architectural masterpiece. While there, don't forget to make a wish! Stand with your back towards the fountain and throw the coin over your left shoulder. I didn't know that when I made my wish, but I still hope it comes true nonetheless. According to the tour guide, about 600,000 euros are thrown into the fountain every year and is used to feed the homeless. I'm glad to know that I've at least helped to contribute to a good cause even if my wish is a bust :p


On our third day, we visited a part of Rome known as Trastevere (pronounced Tras-tay-veer-ray). It is really too cute for words and it might have been one of my favorite parts of town, also very different from the other more touristy areas. Little shops, delicious restaurants, and cobble-stoned streets could all be found here. 

Tip #2: The restaurants here are way cheaper than in most other parts in Rome. I ordered an entire pizza for just 3€! I think that if you have the time and desire to see a different side of this city, Trastevere is definitely worth the trip. A beautiful church named Basilica di Santa Maria is also located here. Amazing mosaics and statues adorn the walls and it's a nice alternative to the other more popular churches. I think sometimes great places are overlooked because people would rather visit the more well-known places (which is completely understandable) but sometimes going off the beaten track can lead to some amazing experiences. 

(Inside of Basilica di Santa Maria)

Oh yeah! And also try to make a visit to Janiculum Hill! Breathtaking views and awesome photos await :) 

Ok, so since I know that I've talked and talked a lot, I'll try to sum up the rest of the trip very quickly haha. Visits to Vatican City and the Pantheon were made. 

Tip #3: If you don't buy your tickets for the Vatican online ahead of time, make sure to show up super early! The line can get extremely long and the wait-time could be forever. We made it there fairly early, so we only had to wait about 20-25 minutes before entering. We also didn't get a chance to see the Pope, but it we did receive the opportunity to see amazing the architecture within the Vatican itself. We didn't make it to the Sistine Chapel, but I'm not too bummed out because I hope to make it back to Italy one day. The Pantheon is great as well and it's nice to have been able to seen such an well-known structure in person. 

                                    (The Vatican)                       (The Pantheon)

Overall, Rome is an amazing place to visit, and I truly do encourage every single person who has the desire to travel the world to make it happen. I definitely know that you will not regret a single moment!

~Justine <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment